Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Importance Of Vitamin D

I bet you read the title of this post and went "what's this got to do with athletics?". Well let me tell you, it has a lot to do with it! I didn't know how important vitamin D was until I was running low on it! I don't think most people will have vitamin D deficiency, but if you do, it's important that you figure it out right away! I will never understand why I am vitamin D deficient because you get vitamin D from the sun, and I'm outside more than I'm inside.
The first symptom I had was fatigue. I was always tired. When I ran track, I could hardly get through a 200 without feeling like I was going to pass out. It was absolutely terrible. Especially because it hit me right when I was doing three sports. I would go to track practice, then go right to softball or volleyball after that. Hardly any breaks in my week (I'm doing that again this year and holy cow is it so much easier with vitamin D!). I just wanted to sleep for the rest of my life. 
Another thing that happened was that my muscles were always sore. My legs were dead, my back was killing me, and even my arms would be sore. Apparently you need vitamin D to clear out the lactic acid in your body. Imagine the pain I went through. A whole track season with lactic acid just building up in my legs. I don't know how I finished the season to be honest! 
I think the worst thing that happens with vitamin D deficiency is that if you don't have enough vitamin D, you can't take in vitamin C, and that is EXTREMELY important. If you don't have vitamin C, your bones get really really weak. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know what was happening so my bones got really weak and I ended up getting scoliosis from it. If you don't want scoliosis or a bunch of broken bones, dreaming make sure you have enough vitamin D! 
Now that you've heard all the fun symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, make sure that you have enough. I promise you, it is terrible. Hopefully I have prevented someone from going an entire year with the pain I went through!

Word count: 386 words 

No comments:

Post a Comment